Welcome to the website (the “Site”) of Persona Identities, Inc. (“Persona,” “we”, “us”, or “our”). Persona allows its business customers (“Customers”) to securely verify the identity of individuals (collectively, including the Site, the “Service”).
Personal data we collect
Personal Data Collected From Customers
If you are a representative of a Customer or potential Customer, we collect information that alone or in combination with other information could be used to identify you (“Personal Data”) when you (i) visit the Site and request information about our Service (for example when you contact our sales team), (ii) contact our Customer support team, or sign up for and use the Service. This may include your name, email address, telephone number, address, bank details, job title, and company name.
Social Media Pages
We have pages on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter (“Social Media Pages”). When you interact with our Social Media Pages, we will collect Personal Data that you elect to provide to us through your settings on the Social Media Site, such as your contact details. In addition, the companies that host our Social Media Pages may provide us with aggregate information and analytics regarding the use of our Social Media Pages.
Use of the Site
When you visit, use and interact with the Site, we may receive certain information about your visit, use or interactions. For example, we may monitor the number of people that visit our Site, peak hours of visits, which page(s) are visited on our Site, the domains our visitors come from (e.g., google.com, yahoo.com, etc.), and which browsers people use to access and visit our Site (e.g., Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, etc.), broad geographical information, and Site-navigation pattern. In particular, the following information is created and automatically logged in our systems:
- Log data
Information (“log data”) that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit the Site. Log data includes your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address (so we understand which country you are connecting from when you visit the Site), browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, and how you interacted with the Site.
- Device information
Includes name of the device, operating system, and browser you are using. Information collected may depend on the type of device you use and its settings.
- Usage Information
We collect information about how you use our Site, such as the types of content that you view or engage with, the features you use, the actions you take, and the time, frequency and duration of your activities.
Personal Data Collected on Behalf of Customers
We also collect Personal Data from individuals in the course of verifying their identities for our Customers. This Personal Data includes names, birthdates, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, government identification numbers and copies of government identification documents, face photos, IP addresses, browser fingerprints, cookie and device identifiers, and location data. We have no direct relationship with the individuals whose Personal Data we process on behalf of Customers – we process their Personal Data pursuant to our Terms of Service and other agreements with our Customers. If you are such an individual and would no longer like your Personal Data to be used by one of our Customers or you would like to access, correct or request deletion of your Personal Data, please contact the Customer that you interact with directly.
How we use personal data
We use Personal Data to provide our Customers with the Service so they can verify the identity of individuals. This processing is necessary to perform our contract with our Customers.
We also use Personal Data as necessary for the following legitimate business interests:
- To respond to inquiries, comments, feedback or questions;
- To manage our relationship with our Customers, which includes sending administrative information relating to our Service and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies, and asking Customers to leave a review or take a survey;
- To analyze how you interact with our Service and provide, maintain and improve the content and functionality of the Service and our customer relationships and experiences, develop our business and inform our marketing strategy;
- To administer and protect our business and the Site, prevent fraud, criminal activity, or misuses of our Site, and to ensure the security of our IT systems, architecture and networks (including troubleshooting, testing, system maintenance, support and hosting of data); and
- To comply with legal obligations and legal process and to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or other third parties, and recover debts due to us.
For information about what we mean by legitimate interests and the rights of individuals in the European Union (“EU”), please see the “EU Users” section below.
We may contact you to provide information we believe will be of interest to you. For instance, if you elect to provide your email address, we may use that information to send you promotional information about our products and services. If we do, where required by law, for example if you are in the EU, we will only send you such emails if you consent to us doing so at the time you provide us with your Personal Data. You may opt out of receiving emails by following the instructions contained in each promotional email we send you or by contacting us. If you unsubscribe from our marketing lists, you will no longer receive marketing communications, but we will continue to contact you regarding our Site and Services and to respond to your requests.
How we share and disclose personal data
In certain circumstances we may share your Personal Data with third parties without further notice to you, unless required by the law, as set forth below:
- Vendors and Service Providers
- To assist us in meeting business operations needs and to perform certain services and functions, we may share Personal Data with service providers, including hosting, cloud services and other information technology services providers; email communication and SMS software providers and email newsletter providers; database and sales/customer relationship management services; payment processors; identity verification services, background check providers, public and private records database providers, consumer reporting services, and fraud and identity management providers; and web and advertising analytics services. Pursuant to our instructions, these parties will access, process or store Personal Data while performing their duties to us.
- Business Transfers
- If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of all or a portion of our assets, or transition of service to another provider, your Personal Data and other information may be shared in the diligence process with counterparties and others assisting with the transaction and transferred to a successor or affiliate as part of that transaction along with other assets.
If you have elected to receive marketing communications from us, we retain information about your marketing preferences until you opt out of receiving these communications and in accordance with our policies.
To determine the appropriate retention period for your Personal Data, we will consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the Personal Data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Data, the purposes for which we use your Personal Data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
Update your information
If you need to change or correct your Personal Data, or wish to have it deleted from our systems, you may contact us. We will address your request as required by applicable law.
California Privacy Rights Disclosures
Online Tracking and Do Not Track Signals
Our Service is not directed to children who are under the age of 13. Persona does not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided Personal Data to Persona through the Service please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.
This section applies to individuals in the EU (for these purposes, reference to the EU also includes the European Economic Area countries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, the United Kingdom, and, to the extent applicable, Switzerland).
Data protection laws in the EU differentiate between the “data controller” and “data processor” of Personal Data. Persona is the data controller for the processing of Personal Data relating to representatives of Customers and potential Customers. You can find our contact information, and the contact information of our EU-based representative, in the “contact us” section below.
Persona is the data processor for the processing of your Personal Data relating to verifying the identity of individuals on behalf of its Customers. If you are an individual whose identity has been verified through Persona, please contact the appropriate Customer to exercise the rights described below.
Legal Bases for Processing
Pursuant to the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (or GDPR), you have the following rights in relation to your Personal Data, under certain circumstances:
- Right of access
- If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, provide you with a copy of that Personal Data along with certain other details. If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification
- If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to ask that we correct or complete it. If we shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the correction where possible. If you ask us, and where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure
- You may ask us to delete or remove your Personal Data, such as where you withdraw your consent. If we shared your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, and where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data with so you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing
- You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of the data or object to us processing it (please read below for information on your right to object). We will tell you before we lift any restriction on processing. If we shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible. If you ask us, and where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability
- You have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that was provided to us as necessary in connection with our contract with you, and that is processed by automated means. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
- Right to object
- You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and we will do so:
- If we are relying on a legitimate interest to process your Personal Data -- unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing or we need to process your data in order to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims;
- If we are processing your Personal Data for direct marketing. We may keep minimum information about you in a suppression list in order to ensure your choices are respected in the future and to comply with data protection laws (such processing is necessary for our and your legitimate interest in pursuing the purposes described above);
- Right to withdraw consent
- If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawal of consent will not affect any processing of your data before we received notice that you wished to withdraw consent.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority
- If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorized to hear those concerns (in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), who can be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns, and in other EU countries the data protection authority of the country in which you are located).
Please see the “Contact Us” section below for information on how to exercise your rights
International Transfers of Personal Data
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Frameworks, Persona is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, Persona may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
We rely on our Privacy Shield certification to transfer Personal Data that we receive from the EU and Switzerland to Persona in the U.S. and we process such Personal Data in accordance with the Privacy Shield Principles of Notice, Choice, Accountability for Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation, Access, and Recourse, Enforcement and Liability (“Privacy Shield Principles”), as described below.
Notice and Choice
Accountability for Onward Transfers
We may be accountable for the Personal Data we receive under the Privacy Shield that we may transfer to third-party service providers. If we are and our third party service providers process Personal Data in a manner inconsistent with the Privacy Shield Principles, we are responsible and liable for the harm caused, unless we prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation
We take reasonable steps to ensure that Personal Data is reliable for its intended use, and that it is accurate, complete and current for as long as we retain it. We will retain the data as long as necessary for the following purposes: delivering the Services, engaging in customer service, complying with legal obligations, auditing, performing security and fraud prevention, responding to legal and regulatory inquiries, and preserving or defending our legal rights or those of other users or third parties.
European Union users have certain rights to access, correct, amend, or delete Personal Data where it is inaccurate, or has been processed in violation of the Privacy Shield Principles. Please see the “Your Rights” section above for more information on the rights of users in the EU (and, to the extent applicable, users in Switzerland).
Resource, Enforcement, Liability
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Persona commits to resolve complaints about our processing of your Personal Data. European Union, United Kingdom, and Swiss users with inquiries or complaints regarding this Private Shield Policy should first contact Persona as follows:
Mail to: Persona Identities, Inc.
Attention: Privacy Shield
540 Howard St. Flr 2 #126
San Francisco, California, 94105
United States of America
We must respond to such inquiries or complaints within 45 days.
We have further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to an alternative dispute resolution provider. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider JAMS (free of charge) at https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield. Persona will cooperate with JAMS pursuant to the JAMS International Mediation Rules, available on the JAMS website at https://www.jamsadr.com/international-mediation-rules/.
If your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under certain conditions a binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield Panel. For additional information, please visit: https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=ANNEX-I-introduction.
We are subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission with respect to Personal Data received or transferred pursuant to the Frameworks.
Links to other websites
You use the Service at your own risk. We comply with industry standards to protect Personal Data both online and offline from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from us may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via the Service or e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any Personal Data to Persona via the Internet. In addition, we are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Service, or third party websites.
Whether or not you provide Personal Data to us is completely up to you, but if you choose not to provide information that is needed to use some features of our Site, you may be unable to use those features. You can also contact us to request access to your data or to ask us to update, correct, or delete your Personal Data.
If you are an individual in the EU, you can also contact Jack Baylor, who is based in the Republic of Ireland and has been appointed as Persona’s representative in the EU pursuant to Article 27 of the GDPR on matters related to the processing of personal data activities that take place in the EU. To make such an inquiry, please contact Jack Baylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.